st: Speed problems on network installation

From   Ulrich Kohler <>
Subject   st: Speed problems on network installation
Date   Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:46:59 +0100

hi all,

we have serious speed-problems on our 10-users-network installation of Stata
8. The speed-problems seem to arise due to slow invocation of ado-files and
help-files. Stata takes sometimes more than 10 seconds to show up help-files,
and I guess that this is the same with the definition of programs in
ado-files. Given that the new graphs require many invocation of external
programs and of the help-system it is quite painful to work with Stata on our
network installation.

I know that the invocation of files from a network widely depends on the
hardware (network cable, file-server etc.) and the networking software (in
our case: Novell). But besides that, is there anything which can be done
without asking our network-administrator to change the entire architecture?

any ideas would be highly appreciated

+49 (030) 25491-361