st: Problem viewing SMCL logs

From   Friedrich Huebler <>
Subject   st: Problem viewing SMCL logs
Date   Tue, 9 Dec 2003 07:33:40 -0800 (PST)

I use Stata 8.2 and Windows XP. When I double-click on an SMCL log
file in the Windows Explorer, the Stata Viewer displays the log file
with all SMCL codes. To properly display a log file I have to open it
via the menu (File - Log - View) or type the command -view- followed
by the complete filename.

The problem has to do with the way long filenames are converted to
the abbreviated DOS forms. For example, -view log.smcl- works as it
should but -view log~1.smc- displays the log file with all SMCL
codes. When a log file is opened via double-clicking in the Explorer,
the -view- command in the Results window shows the path in the DOS
form, with tilde marks.

Can this be fixed? Thank you.

Friedrich Huebler

Do you Yahoo!?