Re: st: mlogit with alternative specific variables

From   John Hendrickx <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mlogit with alternative specific variables
Date   Tue, 9 Dec 2003 06:34:26 -0800 (PST)

I think what you should try to do is to respecify your -clogit- model
as an -stcox- model. The Cox proportional hazards event history model
is strongly related to the conditional logit model. If there are no
time varying covariates, choice of an alternative is indicated by a
time duration of 1, and non-choice is indicated as censured, the
pseudo-loglikelihood of the Cox model simplifies to the likelihood
function of the conditional logit model. Data structure is the same,
estimates and standard errors ditto. Once you've specified the
-clogit- model as -stcox-, the step to an event history model should
be straightforward

Examples using SPSS and SAS can be found at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jhckx/mcl/
More information can be found in:

Allison, Paul D. and Nicholas Christakis
1994 �Logit models for sets of ranked items.� Pp. 199-228 in Peter V.
Marsden (ed.), Sociological Methodology
1994. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.

Hope this helps,
John Hendrickx