st: RE: time-dependent covariates

From   "Jann, Ben" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: time-dependent covariates
Date   Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:31:26 +0100

M. Khedr wrote:
> I have a data set similar to Stanford heart transplant
> data
> 1. some patients on waiting list who did not receive a
> transplanted organ
> 2. others received a transplanted organ
> if we want to consider transplantation as a time
> dependent covariate " the risk of death before
> transplantation is deferent form the risk after
> transplantation". knowing that we have
> Listing date
> Transplantation date
> Last seen date
> and one record per patient
> how to generate a time dependent covariate in this
> case.

Use -stsplit- to split the records at transplantation date
(after you have properly -stset- your data):

 . stsplit transplant, after(transplantdate) at(0)

(assuming that 'transplantdate' is in the same units as the timevar in
-stset- and transplantdate==. for cases without transplantation)
The new variable 'transplant' will equal -1 before transplantation and 0
thereafter. So you might want to recode:

 . replace transplant=transplant+1

I hope this works.

PS: Also see -stsplit- in the ST-manual (Example 3 on p. 337). The
approach presented there is, however, much more complicated.