Re: st: Re: printing resized graphs

From   "Jesper B. Sorensen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: printing resized graphs
Date   Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:42:55 -0500

<snip>

The workaround, (and really, the proper way) to make sure you obtain
a graph of the desired size is to use Stata 8's xsize() and ysize()
options on the graph command:

   . scatter mpg weight, xsize(9) ysize(6)

This allows Stata to 'understand' the desired size of the graph and
to create all of the objects that comprise the graph with the correct
size.

The magnifications on the printer tab are done after the fact at the
low-level graph rendering routines, and the higher level of Stata that
understands all of the objects in the graph does not even know about them.

As a note of interest, when we were working on Stata 8, we considered
eliminating the post-graph-creation magnification factors since the
proper way to change the size of a graph (and to make sure Stata
'understands' it) is with the xsize() and ysize() options.  However,
we decided to leave the options in for users that were accustomed to
using them in prior versions of Stata.
A suggestion after having spent some time yesterday trying to remember the xsize() and ysize() options -- and initially looking in the graph preferences dialog and finding only the magnification option:
Would it be possible to allow users to set default xsize() and ysize() values in the graph preferences?

Thanks,
Jesper

--Alan
([email protected])
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jesper B. S�rensen
Richard S. Leghorn (1939) Associate Professor of Strategic Management
Sloan School of Management
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
E52-581
Cambridge, MA 02142