RE: st: logarithmic scales

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: logarithmic scales
Date   Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:12:57 -0000

Agreed. I formulated my question in terms
of Stata's defaults given -xscale(log)-
and how to improve on them in a way that
can be automated. I'm interested in,
among other things, how far those
defaults appear natural or acceptable
to others.

If you approach it from the other side
and start with log of something as your
variable, then indeed the labels are by default
equally spaced on a log scale, but one
would often prefer to show labels on
an original antilogged scale. Again, that's not
a Stata default, if I recall correctly,
but it would be easy enough to provide
one's own default, and the logic would
be broadly similar to that outlined.