st: conditional logistic regression

From   Ricardo Ovaldia <>
Subject   st: conditional logistic regression
Date   Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:52:52 -0800 (PST)

Dear Stata users,

I have data from women seen at 5 outpatient clinics.
One of the outcome variables of interest is whether or
not women are routinely performing self-breast exams.
We are interested in determining factors associated
with this outcome. In the entire dataset African
American women perform self-breast exams less often
than Caucasian women (OR=1.96). However in one of the
clinics the rate among African American is higher than
in Caucasian women (an interaction between clinic and
race?). I had decided to estimate all odds ratios
using -clogit- to account for the clinic effect. When
I do this for race I get an even more significant OR=
2.5678 (same direction). Is it correct to use -clogit-
as I did or do I need to something different such as a
stratified analysis?

Thank you,

Ricardo Ovaldia, MS
Oklahoma City, OK