Re: st: Tables and row/column percentages

From   Rufus Browning <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Tables and row/column percentages
Date   Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:52:26 -0800

Luciana,

You're right about the inefficiency of dozens of separate tabulations. Two suggestions: use -table- to generate means that are proportions, and use -svytabs-.

USE -table- TO GENERATE MEANS=PROPORTIONS

If your "dependent" variable is 0,1 or can sensibly be made 0,1 another possibility is to use the -table- command to generate "means" (i.e., proportions) of that variable within categories of row, column (supercolumn, superrow) variables. -table- takes pweights, e.g.

. table district villtype [pw=weightvar] , contents(mean marriage) row col format(%5.3f)

Then I like to see the corresponding table of frequencies:

. table district villtype if marriage != . , c(freq) row col

USE SVYTABS TO COMBINE MANY CALLS TO -svytab-

I've also found -svytabs- by Michael Blasnik to be helpful for some kinds of problems:
package svytabs from http://fmwww.bc.edu/RePEc/bocode/s
TITLE
'SVYTABS': module to Create Tables for export Combining Multiple Survey Tabulations

DESCRIPTION/AUTHOR(S)
svytabs generates a variety of tables using calls to Stata's
svytab command. Its advantages over svytab are in convenience
and formatting. A single svytabs command can generate a table
that would require many svytab commands and tedious assembly of
results. By default, tables of percentages are created in a
comma delimited format that can be saved to a text file for
importing to other documents. Statistically significant
differences can be flagged with asterisks. Standard errors,
confidence intervals, design effects, and population counts can
also be produced. Detailed output can be logged while tables are
saved in separate files.

Hope this helps.

Rufus Browning
[email protected]