st: RE: fitting lognormal dist. to an income dist. of counts using stata

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: fitting lognormal dist. to an income dist. of counts using stata
Date   Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:17:04 -0000

Jaren Pope sent this to me privately, and I take
the liberty of forwarding it to Statalist.

There is published work on Singh-Maddala and Dagum
distributions. I'm aware of unpublished work (not
mine) on lognormal distributions.

(I would have thought that the mean, sd and
quartiles of the fitted distribution would normally
be close to that of the observed distribution,
irrespective of the method of fitting, moments,
maximum likelihood, or something else. If they
are not, the distribution is probably a lousy fit
anyway.)

[email protected]