Re: st: Table output, how to get percent of row total?

From   Philip Ryan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Table output, how to get percent of row total?
Date   Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:16:22 +0930

Dan

If you have a two-way or three-way table, then, respectively, tab2way and tab3way give whatever combination you wish of frequencies, row, column and cell percents. These can be downloaded from the ssc archive and may, after a bit of cutting and pasting, help achieve your objective.

Opinion piece follows, bail out now if your time is precious.....

As I think Nick Cox has pointed out recently, Stata's tabulation facilities are somewhat scattered and it can be difficult to find exactly what you want among the myriad of official and unofficial commands. My own opinion is that, usually, user-written add-ons are a *very* good thing and add immeasurably to Stata's functionality. But tabulation is such a basic and important tool that a more unified system is needed. Many of us have written front-ends to _tabdisp for particular functions that -table- does not support, but (i) _tabdisp itself is limited and (ii) there is no unified <command/subcommand/option> construct to allow a reasonable choice of presentations of tabular material. (One has in mind the v8 graphics subsystem - complex, admittedly, but now allows a deal of control over the end-product). In Dan's example below, what we have is essentially a collection of Rx2 subtables appended, that is, we have a sex X smoker table then an age group X smoker table and then perhaps other subtables. This is often the format given as "Table 1" of a published paper wherein the baseline characteristics of two or more groups are displayed. Stata can produce the subtables, but (I think) not the end-product, because Stata's tables are all about complete cross-classifications,whereas the display we want here has cross-classifications within a subtable but not between subtables.

In summary I can imagine a tabulation subsystem in Stata that supports a user-defined output - contents and layout - for presentation. Imagination is, of course, cheap.

Phil