st: Re: xlabels and graph with 2 y-axis

From   "Scott Merryman" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: xlabels and graph with 2 y-axis
Date   Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:45:35 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grote, Veit Dr." <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 8:44 AM
Subject: st: xlabels and graph with 2 y-axis

> Hello,
> I have a simple graph that does not come out as I want to (Stata 8.1).
> I have a labeled categorical variable which I would like to use as my x-axis,
and two numerical variables of different scales (2 y-axis). One should be
expressed in bars and one as a line/connected line (as in the frequency polygon
example in Statalist just recently).
> 1. First problem: Why is the scale of the bars cut (in my data at 30, so that
the lower range 0-30 is not displayed) whereas the scale of the 2nd y-axis is
for the whole range of the data? OK, I fixed that with options scale/range.
> 2. Second problem: I am unable to display the labels of the x-axis? What is
the trick? One desperate try was:
> twoway bar y1 x || connected y2 x, xlabel(#7, valuelabels) yaxis(2)
> Thanks for your help
> Veit Grote

To display the labels on the x-axis I believe you want the option: xlabel(,
(You can find the option on the x-axis tab in the twoway dialog)

For example, the following will label the x-axis with "poor", "ok" ,....

. use "C:\Stata8\auto.dta", clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. label define rep 1 poor 2 ok 3 average 4 good 5 excellent

. label values rep78 rep

. egen average_price = mean(price), by(rep)

. twoway (bar mpg rep78, sort xlabel(, valuelabel))  (line average_price rep,
sort yaxis(2))

Hope this helps,