Re: st: seed command with rndbin

From   Joseph Coveney <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   Re: st: seed command with rndbin
Date   Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:44:30 +0900

Gwen Allardice wrote:

I have recently found a problem in  stata v7 . I have been using the rndbin
program extensively in some simulations I am running.

I would like to be able to replicate  my results and find that the seed
command does not seem to work; I keep getting different results.

Can someone show me how to run the rndin command more than once and get the
same result each time.

-rndbin- is a command in the -rnd- suite originally written by Joseph Hilbe.
He wrote the -rnd- suite when the release of Stata used the old random
number generator.  Since then, Stata has implemented a new random number
generator.  When the new random number generator was implemented, it took
over the -set seed . . .- command, and the old random number generator that
is still used by the -rnd- suite (under version control) now uses
-set seed0 . . .- (note the zero) to set its seed.

Joseph Coveney