st: RE: Re: Programming help

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Programming help
Date   Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:41:05 +0100

Dr. Martyn Sherriff

> This loops correctly over i, but in the data set the
> variable code takes the
> values 96,137(1). I need to print out the code for
> reference only but it
> does not change from the initial value if 96. What should I
> do to modify the
> program? Can I write the "displayed" variables directly to
> an output file?
>
> set more off
> forvalues i=1/294{
> 		integ volume rtime if id==`i', gen(Sv)
> 		display  code  `i'  "   r(integral)
> 		drop Sv
> }
> set more on

I am not sure I understand what you want but

. display code `i'

will always be interpreted as if you
were saying

. display code[1] `i'

In essence, the -display- statement has no
way of knowing that you consider a particular
value of -code- to be the current value. -display-
arbitrarily choose the first value of a variable
if none is specified.

What's more, there will be no
space between the two items printed.

It sounds as if you want something more
like

forval i = 1/294 {
	qui integ volume rtime if id == `i'
	display code[`i'] " " r(integral)
}

where I have omitted generating an optional
variable only to -drop- it a moment later.

If you shut up -integ-, you can just
collate the results within a log. There
are other ways to do it, e.g. -file-.