st: text file as source for set seed # in uniform() fnc

From   "Wallace, John" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: text file as source for set seed # in uniform() fnc
Date   Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:31:24 -0700

Dear statalisters

I have a text file with 512 8-byte hexadecimal numbers generated from
radioactive decay (via Hotbits http://www.fourmilab.ch/hotbits/) that I
would like to use as seeds for the uniform() function.  I see how to use the
set seed argument, but I'd like to have the text file used as the source of
the set seed argument (ideally, incrementing through the lines each time a
new instance of uniform() is called for.  Is it possible to load the file
into an array of some sort then set a variable that loops through the
numbers and is used as the seed whenever uniform() is invoked?  Can stata
use hex numbers as seeds, or do I need to convert them into decimal first?

Thanks for any advice

John W.