st: RE: Stata/Econometric question

From   "Steven Stillman (LMPG)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Stata/Econometric question
Date   Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:51:33 +1200

Maureen.  xtivreg should give the same results as when you do the model by
hand.  are you including all your exogenous variables (including the
excluded instruments) in the first-stage regression and are you including
the fixed effects in your prediction of the wage?

to demonstrate try:
use auto
xtivreg  price  gear_ratio displacement ( mpg =  weight length), fe
i(foreign)

xtreg  mpg gear_ratio displacement weight length, fe i(foreign)
predict fmpg, xbu
xtreg  price fmpg gear_ratio displacement, fe i(foreign)

The coefficient results from the last command are identical to the xtivreg
results.

Hope this helps,
Steve

The information contained in this document is intended only for the
 addressee and is not necessarily the views nor the official
communication of the Department of Labour.  All final/official papers
which are sent from the Department will be sent by non-electronic
means, on appropriate letterhead, signed by authorised personnel.