st: Re: efficient way to construct prices

Subject   st: Re: efficient way to construct prices
Date   Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:01:04 -0400

This type of calculation is very easy in Stata....If you want the average
price for each good and each region and you define the average as the
average selling price per unit (as opposed to the average selling price per
transaction), then:

egen valuetot=sum(value),by(good region)
egen volumetot=sum(volume),by(good region)
gen avgprice=valuetot/volumetot

on the other hand, if you want the average selling price per transaction,
then:
gen price=value/volume
egen avgprice=mean(price),by(good region)

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]