st: Decimal precision, again

From   "SJ Friederich, Economics" <>
Subject   st: Decimal precision, again
Date   Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:34:05 +0100

Dear listers,

Yes, it's about that old favourite of this List, the storage type/decimal precision issue, which keeps popping up here so regularly and under so many different guises. In spite of several clarifying messages by Bill Gould over the years, I can't claim that I understand all aspects this.

Say I made a mistake in -insheet-ing some data (or, ahem, just because the "double" option of -insheet- didn't work well until recently) and I think a particular variable appearing as a float in my data should really be there with double precision.

Re-processing this data from scratch would represent a tremendous drag. Would outsheeting the Stata dataset and re-insheeting it using the "double" option fix this unambiguously? (I would think so but it just seems too simple)

Many thanks for any comments.

Sylvain Friederich
Department of Economics, University of Bristol
8 Woodland Road
Bristol BS8 1TN
Tel +44(0)117 928-8425
Fax +44(0)117 928-8577