st: Significant figures formats

From   Roger Newson <>
Subject   st: Significant figures formats
Date   Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:51:54 +0100

Fellow Statalisters

I have been looking in -[U] 15.5 Formats: controlling how data are displayed-, but I cannot seem to find any formats for displaying data to k significant figures, except for the formats, which display data in the form Ideally, if I have a data set with 1 observation per estimated parameter and data on confidence intervals and P-values, then I would like to be able to list the P-values to 2 significant figures, so that 4.5e-1 would be listed as
and 4.5e-2 would be listed as
and 4.5e-5 would be listed as
This would display exactly the same information as the e-format, but would be more easy for my non-statistical colleagues to understand. However, I haven't found a way of automatng this in Stata, either with %w.df formats or with %w.dg formats. Is there a way of displaying data to k significant figures in Stata? Because, if not, it might be a good idea for an item on the wish list. In the mean time, I might try to write a Stata ado-file to convert e-format data to significant figures.

Best wishes (and thanks in advance)

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Department of Public Health Sciences
King's College London
5th Floor, Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

* For searches and help try: