st: Calculating G Scores

From   "Wendell Joice" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Calculating G Scores
Date   Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:09:51 -0400

Dear statalist,
Using Stata 7, I am trying to calculate 'G' scores (likelihood ratio test
statistic, G, for the hypothesis that the slope coefficient is zero) for
individual covariates. I want to use these scores for variable selection
purposes in a logistic regression model.

1. Is the above definition what is typically meant by 'G' scores?

2. To calculate a univariate G score in Stata, would I run a logistic
regression with the covariate, then -lrtest, saving (0)-, then logistic
regression (constant only), then -lrtest-?
Is the "G" score the resulting "chi2" listed in the Stata output?

3. How do you run a logistic regression (constant only)? Is it
imply  -logistic depvar-?

I have read the manual and findits etc but am still a bit confused about "G"

Wendell Joice