RE: st: data formatted on cards

From   "Mike Hollis" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: data formatted on cards
Date   Wed, 2 Jul 2003 07:14:55 -0700

EBCDIC was (still is?) the standard coding scheme used by IBM mainframes.
If the original datasets were actually created on punch cards (rather simply
being "card image"), there's a reasonably good chance they are coded in
EBCDIC.  It's important to know, but not a major problem to deal with since
there are mapping schemes to translated between EBCDIC and ASCII.

-----Original Message-----
[]On Behalf Of R. Allan Reese
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 1:38 AM
To: statalist
Subject: Re: st: data formatted on cards

Let me offer a couple of keywords to watch out for - like Indiana Jones
watching for spears jump out of walls.

The last time I dealt with card image data, years ago on a reel of tape
written years before, the codes on the tape were MULTI-PUNCHED binary.
In other words, each "column" on the card had been used for a 12-digit
number that might encode several variables.  Another variant used on cards
was EBCDIC rather than ASCII character encoding.  This was an early
version of PGP :-)

R. Allan Reese                       Email: