st: loop that refers to global

From   "Savych, Bogdan" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: loop that refers to global
Date   Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:03:29 -0700

I want to write a do-file that uses loops to refer to some global macros.
Global macros define different variables that I want to use in different
regressions.  However, when I run program I receive an error.  Example of
the do-file is goes like this:

version 7
global cov1="var3"
global cov2="var3 var4"
global cov3="var3 var4 var5"

local i=1
while `i'<=3 {
	logistic y var1 var2 $cov`i'
	local i=`i'+1

After I run this do file it gives an error:

1 invalid name

Does this mean that I can not use loops that refer to macros?  What should I
change for this to run?  Any advise would be appreciated.  Option to write
explicitly each regression does sound quite attractive.

Bogdan Savych
Graduate Fellow
RAND Graduate School