st: RE: hotdeck error message, invalid 'and'

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: hotdeck error message, invalid 'and'
Date   Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:46:46 +0100

Takahiro Higashi

> I was using the "hotdeck" command that you wrote on STATA.
> I get a strange
> error of "invalid 'and'". Since it happens when I ran
> hotdeck, I think it
> comes from the command. The actual output is like below.
> Does anybody know
> why this happens and/or how to solve it?
>
> >From previous posting, I tried the following address, but
> it seems not
> existent any more.
>
> net from http://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/personal/adrian
>
> ----the output starts here--------------------
> . hotdeck b11, by(gender lths inc risk) store impute(5) keep(id)
> DELETING all matrices....
>
> Table of the Missing data patterns
>  * signifies missing and - is not missing
>
> Varlist order: b11
>
>     pattern |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
> ------------+-----------------------------------
>           * |         (table omitted)
>           - |
> ------------+-----------------------------------
>       Total |
> invalid 'and'
>
> ----output end--------

This refers to a command -hotdeck- written by
Adrian Mander and David Clayton. Adrian no longer works
at the MRC Biostatistics Unit at Cambridge.
He now works at GSK:

Adrian.P.Mander@gsk.com

He appears not to be a member of Statalist at present,
so I suggest you write to him directly.

This raises a more general question: how
do I find the authors of user-written programs?

Various possibilities:

1. They are active members of Statalist. Their
email addresses may be apparent from a search
of recent Statalist postings.

2. They are members of Statalist, but not
very active. You can find out who is a member
of Statalist by emailing majordomo@hsphsun2.harvard.edu.
The details are in the Statalist FAQ.

3. They are not members of Statalist. Several
writers of Stata programs are not. Within Stata
-findit- often finds a recent address. (This is how
I found Adrian's address above.) Otherwise
there is always the possibility of a search engine.

Of course, there are all sorts of reasons why
users do not _necessarily_ maintain support
for their Stata programs. They are too busy, they switched
to some other software, as far as they are concerned it
is superseded or obsolete, etc.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk