st: RE: FPC & 2-stage cluster sampling

From   "Sayer, Bryan" <>
To   "'Ali Karim '" <>, "' '" <>
Subject   st: RE: FPC & 2-stage cluster sampling
Date   Tue, 3 Jun 2003 17:49:59 -0400

If the second stage is SRS with replacement and you are analyzing households
(not people in households), I THINK it is ok as is. If you know someone with
SUDAAN, you might be able to run a comparison, provided you have all the
necessary information for the sample design.

Bryan Sayer
Statistician, SSS Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ali Karim
Sent: 6/3/03 10:35 AM
Subject: st: FPC & 2-stage cluster sampling

Dear Statalist readers,

I have a dataset with two-stage cluster sampling. In first stage 30
were selected randomly (without replacement) from a universe of 60
(i.e. fpc = .5). On the second stage 30 households were selected
from each PSU. I planned to analyze household attributes using Stata's
commands. I did the following:-

.svyset psu cluster
.svyset fpc frac

And then run my survey commands. The output gave me the following
"Finite population correction (FPC) assumes simple random sampling
replacement of PSUs within each stratum with no sub-sampling within
However, the assumption does not seem to hold for my sampling design.
Therefore, I am not sure how the assumption affects my analysis. Am I
the survey command correctly for my given situation?

Thanks in advance.