st: OS X update behavior

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: OS X update behavior
Date   Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:35:16 -0500

If any OS X users still have update problems with the downloaded executable being renamed from StataSE.bin to StataSE.1, killing the update swap routine, you can download the latest executable from the Stata web site.

If you do have this problem, can you confirm my system's behavior?

The renaming issue (bug) happens as usual (renaming from StataSE.bin to StataSE.1 with an icon change as well, from a Stuffit icon to a Stata) if I start Stata from Stata.do (pwd: /Applications/Stata/Stata Data/).

The renaming bug does _not_ occur (though the icon does change from Stuffit to Stata) if I start Stata by double clicking the StataSE icon itself rather than the Stata.do file (pwd: /Applications/Stata/).

I have tested this three times starting from each source and the behavior was 100% repeatable, using update executable with the force option.

Any body have an idea as to the permissions settings for these two folders? And how to reset them to a proper state? I'm thinking either this or Stuffit might be the problem.

-Dave

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/