Re: st: discrete-time survival analysis and continuous-time analogues

From   "Jesper B. Sorensen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: discrete-time survival analysis and continuous-time analogues
Date   Mon, 02 Jun 2003 15:05:10 -0400

For both of your questions I think a useful place to go is Paul Allison's 1984 Event History Analysis book from Sage (one of the little green ones).

Per pp.24-25 your specifications for the Weibull and Gompertz are correct.

Also, the reviewer is obviously wrong. There are purists who distinguish between continuous-time and discrete-time event history, and will not allow those practising discrete-time methods to call what they do event-history, but that seems silly. In principle the difference comes down to whether the event could in theory happen at any time (in which case it is a continuous time process) or whether it could only happen at discrete points. The latter type is very rare in most social science applications, but from an estimation standpoint it usually doesn't matter much. How much it matters depends on the rate relative to the observation interval. Trond Petersen has a paper on this. But just because you do not have data on exact timing does not mean its not event history.

Hope this helps.

//Jesper