Re: st: RE: broken axis symbol?

From   Constantine Daskalakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: broken axis symbol?
Date   Wed, 14 May 2003 14:11:41 -0400

At 01:04 PM 5/14/03, Nick Cox wrote:
As I recall, Darrell Huff in his 1954 book implied that axes
which don't start at zero are deceitful. And I seem
to remember my high-school science teachers saying the
same thing in the 1960s and recommending a scale break.
[snip]

I beg to differ on this one Nick.
I think being able to "break" the axis is a crucial feature in plots.

Suppose I want to plot the percent of adolescents who've ever used a computer in the US over the past 10 years (estimated from repeated cross-sectional samples). During that period, this proportion has gone up from about 70% or so to over 95%.

Y-axis is "% used computer" and X-axis is calendar time (years).

First, I don't want to plot on the log scale. Why would I?

Second, I don't want to waste three quarters of my graph area by using the full scale of the Y axis (i.e., 0-100%), when all my measurements are around 85-95%.

I can start my Y-axis at, say, 60%, but I think that's more misleading than starting at 0% and having a "break" to jump to, say, 60%.

The documents accompanying this transmission may contain confidential health or business information. This information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and arrange for the return or destruction of these documents.

Constantine Daskalakis, ScD
Assistant Professor,
Biostatistics Section, Thomas Jefferson University,
125 S. 9th St. #402, Philadelphia, PA 19107
Tel: 215-955-5695
Fax: 215-503-3804
Email: [email protected]
Webpage: http://www.kcc.tju.edu/Science/SharedFacilities/Biostatistics