Re: st: Rowsort question

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Rowsort question
Date   Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:57:04 +0100

Guillermo Cruces

> I'm picking up a point from the very interesting discussion
"Structure
> for making line by line changes?". Scott Merryman suggested using
> rowsort, a command I didn't know. It looks very interesting, though
as
> the help file states "rowsort loops over observations and may be
> relatively slow.", so it is still looping over observations...

Yes indeed.

This thread started with Daniel Sabath being told by
various people that looping over observations was hardly
ever necessary.

As it turns out, his example is one in which looping
over observations is at the heart of _one_ solution.

Another limitation of -rowsort- is its restriction
to integers.

On the whole, I prefer to use -reshape- for this
kind of problem.