st: Rowsort question

From   "Cruces,GA (pgr)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Rowsort question
Date   Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:48:04 +0100

Dear all,

I'm picking up a point from the very interesting discussion "Structure
for making line by line changes?". Scott Merryman suggested using
rowsort, a command I didn't know. It looks very interesting, though as
the help file states "rowsort loops over observations and may be
relatively slow.", so it is still looping over observations...

One point I didn't understand from the help file was:
"It may be faster to reshape, sort within blocks, and reshape again."

What is exactly "sorting within blocks"?

thank you very much

best,

g.