st: bootstrap help

From   "Patrick Sturgis" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: bootstrap help
Date   Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:21:02 +0100

Stata 7.0

I'm having problems getting a bootstrap to work. I'm trying to get standard
errors for the difference between two Cronbach's alpha coefficients. I've
used the example of bootstrapping the ratio of two means from the stata 7
manual (A-G p 171) as a template to produce the following ado file (bef* are
the first 4 variables and aft* the second 4 that I wish to compare):

program define alphatest
	version 7.0
	if "'1'" == "?" {
		global s1 "alphatest"
	tempname y
	alpha bef1 bef2 bef3 bef4
	scalar 'y' = r(alpha)
	alpha aft1 aft2 aft3 aft4
	post '1' ('y' - 'r(alpha)')

Every time I run it (bstrap aphatest, reps(100)  I get the following error

unexpected	end of file
"alphatest	?" returned:
unexpected	end of file

I have stored the ado file in my c:/stata/personal folder. Any ideas where
I'm going wrong? Thanks