RE: st: RE: fill bars

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: fill bars
Date   Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:35:15 +0000

edwin,

at the risk of making an irrelevant point, i do have a pragmatic suggestion, something that i do from time to time. at the moment, i am on my stata learning curve so i don't admit being proficient in graphic-ing in stata. when i stumbled or wanting to do something with graphs that i do not know how to do in stata, i often used excel and spss as alternatives. now, what you want doing can be done by excel (my version is excel97). maybe you know this already, if so, my apology. i adopt this pragmatic approach to minimise delay in my work while i learn stata in the meantime. my 2cents worth.

cheers,
bw

From: "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: st: RE: fill bars
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 16:16:28 +0100

Edwin Leuven replied to me

> > Stata bears to heart
> > the warnings of Edward Tufte in his magnificent
> > trilogy against the graphical horrors of
> > such patterns, many of which provoke vibratory
> > illusions. So plain colours only!
>
> maybe i should decide?
>
> i can't say that i am amused by statacorp changing and
> reducing my opportunity
> set as far as stata 8 is concerned

Let's be clear on a few things:

I assume we are talking about point and
line patterns within bars.

My comment was, naturally, an non-official
interpretation. Stata Corp may or may not
add to it (or subtract from it).

I don't think Stata has ever offered these patterns
as graphical possibilities, so Stata 8 takes
nothing away, so far as I can see.

It seems to me that all statistical graphics
software make choices for you on what primitives are offered.
For example, Stata does not offer pictograms,
such as little figures of people, which can be
multiplied.

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/