RE: st: Stata8: Dialogs and macros

From   "Plattner, Dankwart" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata8: Dialogs and macros
Date   Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:07:19 +0100

Dear Jean-Marie,
>> Hope that helps!
This sure helped more than I had hoped for when posting my message! Thank
you very much!
I have now finished the dialog. On invocation of Stata, it asks for a
datafile to open and also opens a log file and a cmdlog with appropriate
filenames which depend on the name of the datafile + today's date (the user
may chose another logname). In addition, it checks for the file size and
sets the memory to the appropriate size before loading the datafile. Thank
you again very much!

Two questions and an observation remain:
Within the dialog, the trick is in the line

main.fi_file.withvalue main.tx_label.setlabel `"Label is file @"'

Are .withvalue and @ documented somewhere? I couldn't find them anywhere in
the manual. -findit withvalue- didn't give any results.
The observation: @ seems to be restricted to 64 characters (, therefore I
had to do this step also in the ado file - some path+file names are longer).
The second question: After the first call of the ado-file and the return to
the dialog, there is always a message:

. db ststartdpv8test
no variables defined

displayed. There's no such message later on (after the second, third, etc,
call). Do you have an idea what's the reason for this?
Sincerely
Dankwart Plattner