st: RE: RE: RE: out-of-date commands

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: out-of-date commands
Date   Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:53:00 -0000

Givanni Vecchi
> thank you very much for your reply.
> I am not sure I understand the - grep - part of your email,
> though. What
> does - grep - mean?

In my case, I was using a Windows port of the GNU utilities.

> Also, I don't see the - tutorial - command in the list in
> your e-mail.
> How can I be sure about whether it has been eliminated? Am
> I supposed to
> check its entry in the Stata documentation? I've tried
> -findit totorial-
> but have been unable to find a (however short)
> communication about its
> disappearance.

Good question, and one mostly for Stata Corp. My impression
is that the tutorials -- defined as what are run by -tutorial- --
are not being maintained into Stata 8. Even if you copy
the old files, they won't necessarily work.

In the case of graphics, -whelp graph_intro- is a substitute.

The style of the tutorials -- essentially emitting a
windowful of stuff at a time -- has become arguably very out-of-date
anyway. I've sensed students getting bored and bailing out presented
with this style. The contents had in many cases become very
as well. I've not used them for teaching for some years. It
is a lot easier -- and in many ways just as effective -- to
write documents to be looked at in the viewer. Naturally, that's
some work as compared with no work in using pre-prepared tutorials.

Still, I guess Stata Corp will be sorry that some users will
miss them.

In general -findit- finds what stuff exists, not notes
on what doesn't exist.

> This makes me feel a bit puzzled. I am about
> to update my
> class notes to account for the new release of Stata 8: the
> existence of
> a document listing all out-of-date commands would save me
> the checking
> of every single Stata 7 command I use in my notes before
> teaching...

I wouldn't recommending teaching Stata 8 before using it.