st: RE: Graphic question V8: graphing adjusted values with CI

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Graphic question V8: graphing adjusted values with CI
Date   Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:51:07 -0000

Moran, John

> Exploring the new graphics (tentatively) in V8 (running SE,
> updated to 30
> Jan exec, 25 Feb ado), I am trying to plot a fairly basic
> function, adjusted
> values, of a regression, but am having trouble doing it all
> via the graphic
> GUI. So:
>
> regress  price mpg weight displacement
> adjust  weight displacement, by( mpg) se gen(abc def)
> gen  def_l=abc-1.96* def
> gen de_u=abc+1.96* def
>
> I then try to plot the predicted values, upper and lower CI
> using the GUI; I
> get to this without tooo much trouble:
>
> twoway (scatter price mpg, msymbol(none)) (scatter abc mpg,
> msymbol(diamond)
> msize(small)) ///
> (line def_l mpg, sort clpat(dash) clwidth(medthin)) ///
> (line de_u mpg, sort clpat(dash) clwidth(medthin))
>
> But I still have to draw the solid line of the linear
> predictor through the
> diamond symbols; so back to the command line:
>
> twoway (scatter price mpg, msymbol(none)) (scatter abc mpg,
> msymbol(diamond)
> msize(small)) ///
> (line def_l mpg, sort clpat(dash) clwidth(medthin)) ///
> (line de_u mpg, sort clpat(dash) clwidth(medthin)) ///
> (line abc mpg, sort clpat(solid) clwidth(medium))
>
> Now it all comes out nicely in the end (at least on my
> machine!!), but the
> limitation to 4 overlays seems frustrating for a basic
> function such as
> plotting the adjusted means of a regression. Now there is
> "regpred" plus
> other functions by J. Garrett in V7, but the graphics are
> obviously not V8
> quality.
>
> Have I missed something initially in the set up of the
> initial plots such
> that this can all be done in 4 overlays? Cannot seem to do
> it at this end,

The three calls to -line- can be reduced to one.

More generally, what you want is presumably programmable
as a wrapper for a call to -adjust- and a call to -graph-.
There is always a design question of when such a wrapper
becomes too complicated to be worth it. For a start, the programmer
has to inflict upon you, the user, a syntax allowing
you to specify -adjust- arguments, -scatter- options
and -line- options. Whatever, it appears that no one has
done it yet.