Re: st: Sample size for ttest - (am I wrong?)

From   Ricardo Ovaldia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Sample size for ttest - (am I wrong?)
Date   Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:44:39 -0800 (PST)

Thank you David and Ronan. I'm confused by the
apparent contradictions in the two posts. I understood
how Ronan calculated the power but its this valid? Or
is the problem (as I originally suspected) that a
"difference of 1.5 SD" doesn't mean anything without
knowing something about the distribution of the two
groups? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Ricardo.

--- Ronan Conroy <[email protected]> wrote:
> on 18/02/2003 5:11 pm, Ricardo Ovaldia at
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > and furthermore I did
> > not need this information because his friend
> (another
> > "statistician") told him that with 8 observations
> per
> > group he could detect a difference of 1.5 standard
> > deviations with 80% power.
>
> . sampsi 0 1.5, sd(1) n(8)
>
> Estimated power for two-sample comparison of means
>
> Test Ho: m1 = m2, where m1 is the mean in population
> 1
>                     and m2 is the mean in population
> 2
> Assumptions:
>
>          alpha =   0.0500  (two-sided)
>             m1 =        0
>             m2 =      1.5
>            sd1 =        1
>            sd2 =        1
> sample size n1 =        8
>             n2 =        8
>          n2/n1 =     1.00
>
> Estimated power:
>
>          power =   0.8508
>
> A different of 1.5 standard deviations is very large
> indeed. Yes, the power
> is 85%, but the Mann Whitney statistic is 86%
>

> . mwstati 1.5 1 1, i
> Mann-Whitney statistic for this situation is: 0.8556
>
> That is, the probability that an observation in
> group 2 will be higher than
> an observation in group 1 is 0.8556.
>
> Two comments:
> 1. The minimum clinically significant difference in
> Cox2 may well be less
> than 1.5 SD and
> 2. An 80% power is an unacceptably high risk of
> failure. I don't get out of
> bed for less than 90%.
>

> Ronan M Conroy ([email protected])
> Lecturer in Biostatistics