st: Re: guaranteed to be present

From   baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: guaranteed to be present
Date   Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:52:41 -0500

--On Thursday, February 13, 2003 2:33 -0500 Nick wrote:

... "guaranteed to be present" was the sting, which
is a distance away from "available in principle".
Well, following the Cox principle of only working in 8-space, my copy of Mac OS X (which is the only relevant Mac OS for Stata 8 users) responds to 'which gzip' with '/usr/bin/gzip'. So every Mac OS X user will have it available. I don't know about WinXP. But if Mac OS X users want to use gzip, they have it readily available. (In reality, the Stuffit Expander app provided with OS X will also do ungzipping, but will not create a .gz file).

But I agree--there is no need for this to be a Stata command, given the idiosyncratic nature in which gzipped (or other compressed-format files) might be used in a program. As long as we can invoke system commands from within a program (in any OS), we can do whatever (de)compression is needed on the fly.

Kit
Christopher F Baum, Boston College Economics, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA
[email protected] http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec/baum.php

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/