st: RE: Re: student Stata

From   "Sayer, Bryan" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: student Stata
Date   Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:25:08 -0500

Oh?  We get the entire SAS suite (which is, in many ways, significantly more
extensive than Stata) for $50 per year, academic pricing.  Perhaps pricing
at BC is much worse.  Which is no comment about the value of Stata in its on
right, just vis-a-vis other vendors' offerings.

Bryan Sayer
Statistician, SSS Inc.
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
From: baum [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 10:28 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: student Stata

--On Thursday, February 13, 2003 2:33 -0500 Al wrote:

> student can get a copy of Stata for a class, and use it happily for as
> long as the hardware & OS keep supporting it (one really big reason to
> have students learn stats with Stata).

Not any longer, if the student takes advantage of the great prices of the
Stata GradPlan. The prices for 8 have come _down_ from 7, but they now are
1-year licenses. A student does have the option (at about a 45% premium) of
buying the perpetual license. As an economist (and a GradPlan coordinator)
I have no problem recommending the one-year license to students (although I
would, in the interests of full disclosure, like to know what the annual
renewal fee will be. But those details can be discussed with StataCorp
off-list. Even with the new pricing strategy, the fact that you can get
_all_ of Stata's functionality (and access to all of Nick Cox' exclusive
Stata 8 creations!) for the low price on offer is a tremendous deal
vis-a-vis other vendors' offerings.

Kit
Christopher F Baum, Boston College Economics, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA
[email protected]                              http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec/baum.php