st: Marginal Effects for ZINB

From   Chris Roebuck <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: Marginal Effects for ZINB
Date   Wed, 12 Feb 2003 10:13:35 -0600

I am running ZINB (zero-inflated negative binomial) models, and after which
running MFX to calculate marginal effects.

Although several coefficient estimates are NEGATIVE, Stata reports POSITVE
marginal effects.

My question: Is this possible and why? Is this the case since the marginal
effect is for the overall model (which includes the zero-inflation equation)
and therefore if both coefficents from the two equations are negative, then
the resulting marginal effect if positive (i.e., it's a product of the two)?

One point on my models: The do not include instruments; both equations
contains the same variables, thus nonlinearities are identfying the

Thanks for your help.

M. Christopher Roebuck, MBA
Health Economist
410-229-8382 office