Re: st: question using xtivreg

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], Rebecca Wolfe <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: question using xtivreg
Date   Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:44:17 +0000 (GMT)

Rebecca,

Quoting Rebecca Wolfe <[email protected]>:

> i'm attempting to do a 2-level hierarchical regression in stata. at
> the
> moment i'm a bit stumped since it seems as though stata tests my
> model
> against the within error term rather than the between error term.
> i'm
> wondering how to determine the significance level for my level 2
> covariates?
>
> here's how i have set up the equation (i'm also a bit confused on
> how to
> set the endogenous variables, so i may be doing this part wrong).
>
> xtivreg options powdif equality blame (year ip = year ip), i(who)
> re

You've set up the endogenous variables wrongly.  What goes before the = is
the list of endogenous regressors.  What goes after the = is the list of
exlcuded instruments, i.e., exogenous variables that are not regressors
themselves, but are correlated with the endogenous regressors.

What you've done is say that year and ip are endogenous regressors but also
that they're excluded instruments, and Stata is probably complaining that
this doesn't make sense.

Precisely what your excluded instruments might be isn't clear from your
email.  (This is always the headache we have with IV - finding instruments
that are exogenous, don't belong in the regression, and are correlated with
the endogenous variables, is often a tall order.)

Hope this helps.

--Mark

> options is my dv
> powdif, equality and blame are my predictors
> year and ip are covariates
> who is my subject identifier (i.e., within variable)
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.