st: Re: Stata 8 Window Arrangement

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Stata 8 Window Arrangement
Date   Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:06:42 -0800 (PST)

I found a solution that works for me. I moved the Review and
Variables windows inside the (maximized) Stata main window, as they
are in Stata 7. I will illustrate this by modifying Alan Riley's
drawing.

| Stata main window                                     |
|+---------+                                            |
|| Review  |                                            |
||         |                                            |
||         |                                            |
||         |                                            |
||         |                                            |
||         |                                            |
|+---------+                                            |
|+---------+                                            |
||Variables|                                            |
||         |                                            |
||         |                                            |
||         |                                            |
||         |                                            |
||         |                                            |
|+---------+                                            |

Now I can close Review and Variables to make room for the Data
Browser and other windows. Alan's suggestion leaves only 80 percent
of the screen width for the Data Browser, etc., (unless the main
Stata window is resized) but here these windows can be as wide as the
entire screen. If the width of the Review and Variables windows is
less than 20 percent of the screen width they will also not cover the
Graphics and other dialog boxes.

I support the call by Fred Wolfe for a choice between Stata 7 and
Stata 8 behavior and for macros. At the least it would be convenient
to have keyboard shortcuts for closing the Review and Variable
windows. Is it possible to modify Stata such that Ctrl+6 can both
close and restore the Variables window, for example?

Friedrich Huebler