Re: st: Re: Stata 8 Window Arrangement

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Stata 8 Window Arrangement
Date   Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:50:51 +0900

I had posted earlier, "Is there a way to get [dialogue boxes] to open in a new default
position over the Review window?"

And Alan Riley responded in part, "There is not currently a way to get Stata's dialog
boxes to open over the Review or Variables windows."

For what it's worth, I had mistyped, intended to ask whether the boxes could be opened
over the _Results_ window and not the _Review_ window.  I don't think that it matters,
though, from Alan's postings on this topic.  It appears that, due to inherent limitations in
the operating system and not Stata, I will not be able to select variables from the
Variables window regardless of where the dialogue or expression-builder boxes open.

Not to belabor this issue, but I had thought that something could be possible, for
example, analogous to the way in which certain selection boxes in Excel's graph-
making dialogue box allows selecting a range of cells for a graph.  But, if I understand
this situation correctly, that will only work when the source is determined by the
application, such as the invariant range of possible cell references in Excel.  It will not
be possible to have such an option when the options are unknown to the program in
advance, such as the names of variables that the user creates in an application like
Stata.

In any event, I'll try Alan's advice and arrange the windows as he illustrates in his
posting.

Joseph Coveney