Re: st: RE: Re: ST: correlations and values

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: ST: correlations and values
Date   Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:04:11 -0600

At 04:24 PM 1/20/2003 +0000, you wrote:
Eric Uslaner

> I sent this to STATALIST yesterday and I did not see it in today's
> digest.
> Any idea as to what went wrong?

No, sorry.

I had the same thing happen so I'll soon try a repost.

Nick is right. The problem is where to find room for the variable names across the top. Or perhaps I should say to find a general solution as to how long the labels should be vs. how many variables you want across the top, and how wide is your screen (linesize).

That raises another question, "what is a label?" The var label that one uses to identify a variable is not necessarily the same label you would want in graph or a table. I tried to address that in my program -fsum-. It uses -tlabels- or labels that I found useful for tables in hide in a variables char[tlabel]. I found it very useful. I can go from Stata to publication quality tables quickly. But I'm sure it hasn't caught on. But it wouldn't be a bad idea for Stata to support several sets of label. Coming back to pwcorrs, one might want to make special labels for variables across the top that were more expressive, but still not too long. In the version 8 tabulate, the labels across the top are 9 characters long. In fact they truncate my labels, so that I would have to retype them in a manuscript table.

So at this moment it would seem that the thing to do is for me to fix up pwcorrs for expanded var width with an option to substitute (truncated) labels. Other suggestions are welcome.

Fred Wolfe Tel (316) 263-2125
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases Fax (316) 263-0761
Wichita, Kansas [email protected]

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/