st: RE: Re: ST: correlations and values

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: ST: correlations and values
Date   Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:24:43 -0000

Eric Uslaner

> I sent this to STATALIST yesterday and I did not see it in today's
> digest.
> Any idea as to what went wrong?

No, sorry.

> I would like to create output along the lines of Fred Wolfe's fine
> pwcorrs, but with variable labels.
>
> So if I have
>
> pwcorrs y x1 x2 x3,var(1)
>
> I'll get the variable names and one column of correlations
> of x1 x2 and
> x3 with y
>
> (e.g.:
>
> pwcorrs trust v20 v24 v26,var(1)
>                            Pearson Correlations
>           |    trust
> ----------+---------
>     trust |   1.0000
>       v20 |   0.0110
>       v24 |   0.3333
>       v26 |  -0.0256
>
> But I'd like to have the variable labels for each variable
> as well as
> the names.  Tried outreg, didn't work.  Don't think that
> Nick Winter's
> mktab will work either from the help file.  Any ideas?

Well, I think you need to explain where the putative
programmer is going to put those labels -- which
could be up to 80 characters long. How much real estate
have you got?

-pwcorrs- was last updated (publicly) for Stata 5.0.

I just tried it and I note that -pwcorrs- is made less
tidy by variable _names_ longer than 8 characters,
as permitted in Stata 7.0 and 8.0.

Fred Wolfe just posted on a different matter, so he
may well comment.