st: Speed issues with Stata 8

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Speed issues with Stata 8
Date   Thu, 16 Jan 2003 05:19:05 -0600

Let me at the start say that I find the new graphics very impressive. But I am really concerned that Stata 8 is importantly slower than Stata 7. At first I thought this was just in graphics, but using data is also slower.

Using Windows 2000, dual processors, SSCI drives, memory set to 200 MB, here are some of the timings I am getting.

Stata 7 313,132 obs = .74 second
Stata 8 313,132 obs = 7.47 second

Conclusion: Loading data into memory is 10 times slower

Same -use- statement plus some processing, sorting, preserving and data clean up in a program (no graphics)

Stata 7 7.03 seconds
Stata 8 13.7 seconds

Conclusion: -use- is 10 times slower

Merging: Program with 5 merges and some data manipulation

Stata 7: 38.7 seconds
Stata 8: 33.4 Seconds

Conclusion merging and data manipulation is faster.

graph age pain 313,132 obs versus scatter age pain

Stata 7: 1.07 seconds
Stata 8: 46.6 seconds

44 times slower & a lot of seconds

spikeplot age, r(.5)

Stata 7: 2.02 seconds
Stata 8: 10.98 seconds

Five times slower - not too many seconds

xtgee xtgee haq age sex fatigue,i(pat) robust

Stata 7: 8.92 seconds
Stata 8: 9.20 seconds

About the same.

Overall conclusions and comments.

1) In general, using data (-use-) is a lot slower, but isn't really a much of a problem.
2) New graphics are beautiful, comprehensive, and seem to be great.
3) However, when one wants a quick look at data rather than a perfect graph, things really slow down and interfere with work, and this is particularly so when you want multiple looks at data. Yes, I know use can use graph7 (gr7), but it doesn't appear to be supported in that it isn't in the manuals.

Suggestion. I recognize how much more complex the new graph system is and that it just takes more time. But, would it be possible to add to the new graph programs a new option (Quick) in which, if called, the program would translate the new graph language into the old gr7 language and run a "quick" graph. There would seem to be advantages to this approach. First, it would make routine working easier and faster. Second, perhaps it would enable one to get the graph language right without long delays. I often find in Stata 7 that I have to run a graph 5-7 times to get it to look the way I want it for publication. In the old 7 system that would be 8 seconds of processing, but in the new Stata 8 system it would be > 5 minutes. Third, it wouldn't require the support of the old language (just its sotto voce implementation).

One wonder if Stata Corp might be able to comment on these speed issues and suggestion.

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Wolfe Tel (316) 263-2125
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases Fax (316) 263-0761
Wichita, Kansas [email protected]

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/