st: RE: -fracpoly-

From   COMBES Philippe <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: -fracpoly-
Date   Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:01:16 +0100

See Hosmer and Lemeshow : Applied Logistic Regression (2000) for good

-----Original Message-----
From: david huffer []
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 11:58 AM
To: Statalist
Subject: st: -fracpoly-

I have little experience using -fracpoly- and I am seeking advice.

I have a variable AGE and a variable CAGE which is the centered version
of AGE and I want to find out whether in a binary logistic reg model I
should model age as linear or noinlinear in the logit.  When I estimate
a fractional polynomial regression using AGE, the findings indicate I
should treat age as linear in the logit.  When I use CAGE, the findings
indicate I should use a one-term polynomial transformation and model
CAGE as nonlinear.

Should I use the uncentered version in -fracpoly- or the centered

Thanks in advance.