st: -fracpoly-

From   "david huffer" <>
To   "Statalist" <>
Subject   st: -fracpoly-
Date   Fri, 13 Dec 2002 05:57:44 -0500

I have little experience using -fracpoly- and I am seeking advice.

I have a variable AGE and a variable CAGE which is the centered version
of AGE and I want to find out whether in a binary logistic reg model I
should model age as linear or noinlinear in the logit.  When I estimate
a fractional polynomial regression using AGE, the findings indicate I
should treat age as linear in the logit.  When I use CAGE, the findings
indicate I should use a one-term polynomial transformation and model
CAGE as nonlinear.

Should I use the uncentered version in -fracpoly- or the centered

Thanks in advance.