st: RE: RE: RE: syntax question

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: syntax question
Date   Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:35:52 -0000

David Moore

> One problem,
> however, is that SAS
> allows variable arrays and I believe these still do not
> exist in Stata.  You
> can program around this, of course, but that's not a simple
> matter of
> converting from one language to another.  Those with Stata
> 7 will benefit
> from the "new" looping commands.  Those of us who still
> can't afford to
> upgrade must resort to -while- loops.

Stata does not have arrays as such. But see the FAQ

(which predates Stata 7) and add to it the facilities of -foreach- and
-forvalues- and then the question -- for those
who know both SAS and Stata -- is what can
be done easily or with a little effort in SAS
which is difficult or impossible in Stata? (The reverse
question might interest some people, of course, but is not