st: RE: file wrote single opening quote

From   Roger Newson <>
Subject   st: RE: file wrote single opening quote
Date   Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:11:03 +0000

At 21:40 18/11/02 +0000, Nick Cox wrote (re Ulrich Kohler's comments):

All this doesn't stop me wanting, like
I guess all others in this thread, to
be able to specify within Stata that I
want to read a line of text from a
file and/or to write a line of text to a
file absolutely as is with no interpretation
of macros. That is, the desire is for something

file lread  handle [specs]

file lwrite handle [specs]

where -lread- and -lwrite- indicate something
like a _l_iteral read and write.

I don't know exactly how easy that is to
do, but it is easy to ask for.
Nick doesn't specify what -lread- is going to read the line to, if not to a macro, or what -lwrite- is going to write the line from, if not from a macro. Presumably, this would be specified in the [specs]. However, IMHO a macro is probably the best place to store a line, just as long as there is a way of accessing the value of a macro without quoting anything. I still think the way to go is probably something like the macro substring functions -lsubstr(localmacroname,startaddress,length)- and -gsubstr(glocalmacroname,startaddress,length)- that I proposed in a previous thread, together with corresponding extended macro functions of the same names, and probably an extended macro function for the length of a macro value. However, like Nick, I only know how easy these things are to ask for, not how easy they are for StataCorp to implement in Stata.

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Department of Public Health Sciences
King's College London
5th Floor, Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

* For searches and help try: