st: RE: label

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: label
Date   Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:46:29 -0000

Ye Xu
> How can I show the completaion label of the content of variable?
> When I use "tab var",the labels are half cut.

A few experiments indicate that, at least in
some circumstances, -tabulate- in Stata chops at 39 characters.
So if your labels are cut in half, they must be about
78 characters long.

-table-, and -tabdisp- which it uses, appear to chop
at 40 characters.

A few experiments indicate that changing the setting
of -linesize- makes no difference.

Another even more homespun way is illustrated by this

. u auto
. bysort foreign : egen freq = sum(1)
. egen tag = tag(foreign)
. list foreign freq if tag