st: RE: help with record length problem

From   "Jiang, Tao" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: help with record length problem
Date   Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:52:20 -0500

It exceeds the limit (see "help limits").  I think the work around is either
to read the data several times (cut-into several part) by using the skip()
option in the dictionary file, then combine the several parts, or use infile
without dictionary.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Talkington [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 5:11 PM
To: Statalist
Subject: st: help with record length problem

I'm attempting to read in some Census data with a fixed format infile
dictionary.  The file has a record length of 12000.  I either get an error
telling me that the record is too long, or if I define lrecl specifically a
message that 12000 isn't allowed.  (The limit appears to be something like
7,999?)  Anyway, I can't find any documentation on record length limits or
limits to the allowed number for lrecl in the infile statement.  Any ideas?
Is there a workaround, or correction?

--Scott Talkington