st: Format of numeric results

From   "Axel Heitmueller" <>
Subject   st: Format of numeric results
Date   Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:06:52 +0100

Hi there,

got stuck with a seemingly simple problem. Tried to generate a
variable using existing variables in the data set and a couple of
arithmetic operations. However, manual double checks reveal that
stata comes up the wrong result. Because the results are fairly
large (the width is 12) I tried all kinds of formats but failed to get the
right results. I wonder if there is any global command that changes
the way stata deals with large numbers?

the code is
gen	x=(((z*1000000000)+y)*10)+d-910
where z, y, and d are variables in the data set (y is large and none
of the variables has got digits).

Axel Heitmueller,
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, CERT
School of Management
Heriot-Watt University
EH14 4AS
phone +44(0)131 451 3969